Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Marlborough Sounds Kayaking Trip

A couple weeks ago Lucas and I tested out our kayaking skills with a trip to the Marlborough Sounds which is a the northern most part of the South Island.

On the first day it rained - I mean poured - all morning.  So much so that the club leader canceled the morning paddle and opted for taking a hike instead.  Part of me would have rather napped instead of going on a hike in the rain and wind but I didn't want these Kiwis thinking Americans are lazy.
 
The hike ended up being great, standing there at the top - soaking wet, I really felt like I accomplished something.  Walking down, I envisioned throwing off my wet clothes, eating some chocolate, and getting warm in my sleeping bag. However - nature had other plans for me. By the afternoon the weather cleared up and everyone was ready for a mid day paddle. Total nap time 30mins.
 
Saturday night was the holiday pot luck party. I'm proud to say our warm beet salad rocked the house. Go Team USA!  The recipe came from my favorite blog Sprouted Kitchen and I use it often.  During the pot luck I was introduced to a traditional Kiwi dessert: Pavlova - a meringue based dessert named after the ballet dancer.  For someone who doesn't like desserts of this type - it just confirmed that I really don't like desserts of this type but people went crazy for it.
 
The Sunday we paddled back to Picton to catch the ferry to Wellington.  This might have been my favorite part because we saw a few animals and cute fish.
 
kayaks in the hull of the ferry - heading to picton

cottages at mistletoe bay

cutest little duck


Mistletoe Bay

Alpacas at Mistletoe Camp - Low carbon emissions lawn mowers

Saturday afternoon paddle


At the top of the mountain at the end of the hike


Sunday Paddle


Lucas drying out after Saturday's paddle

Starfish!


Sea Cucumber


Fish!

Seal!

Weka!

decorated kayak for holiday competition

Just after sunset in the sounds
 
Back in Piction waiting for the ferry
 

No comments: