Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Whanganui River Journey

About 2 weeks ago Lucas and I traveled to the Whanganui River region for a few days of canoeing and then headed down to New Plymouth for some lazy, sea side town time. Since Lucas was in the back of the canoe and had the camera,  most of the pictures on the river are of my back.

The Whanganui River journey was amazing. As soon as I got in that canoe and took a few strokes, I was utterly astounded by the surroundings. Due to it being the rainy season, the river water was a murky brown color but all the extra rain only added to the vibrant green colors of the trees.  What was even more impressive was that there seemed to be a water fall every 50 yards.

On our first day we set off from the Whakaroro boat landing and traveled 39km to the John Cull Hut.  The hut was 5 stars.  There was running water, a kitchen, and bunk beds with mattress.  It was heaven. 
Whakaroro boat landing





Wild Goats

Bunks at John Cull Hut





Day two we left John Cull and set off for to the Bridge to Nowhere and theTeike Kainga hut.


Mangapura Boat Landing


Bridge to No Where

We got lost for a little bit



Maori Marae


Warming my cold toes by the fire


Day three we made our way to Pipiriki where our journey ended.  Even though I loved every minuet of the river, three days was enough for me.  My shoulders were so sore and I was spending a good amount of time thinking about how nice a shower would be.


relaxing and waiting for a pick up

Our ride showing us how high the water level is

Pipiriki Boat Landing


Old Maori Canoe - its put in the ground once the owner has past away




No comments: