Thursday, June 13, 2013

And you may ask you’re self…how did I get here?

Oh right…Air New Zealand.

Wow – we did it! We’re really in New Zealand! Although it doesn’t feel as foreign as I thought it would.  I feel a little off with the time change but not much. It feels more normal to be here than I thought it would.  Not that this is a bad thing, just different than I imagined.  We’ve spent the first couple days settling in to our hotel room and doing some small walks around Porirua and Wellington.  The hardest part for me, our hotel room is a mess.  There are space-saver bags filled with clothes that I can barely identity, I don't know which suitcase certain items are in, and when I can’t find stuff, I panic thinking I’ve miss packed it in box and left it in Jon and Sara’s garage in California.
Last night we went to the community pool that’s a couple blocks from our hotel room and it was the most amazing and awesome community pool I’ve ever been to.  Picture doesn't do it justice.  If you look closely, you can see the killer whale hanging from the ceiling above the wave pool.

1.     Standard lap pool - awesome
2.     Multiple hot tubs
3.     Wave pool!!!!! This was AWESOME! Lights flashed, a siren went off, and everyone in the pool ran towards the wave section – just like at Raging Waters.
4.     Saunas
5.     Popcorn vending machine! Because you know, after swimming and playing in a wave pool..you’re going to want fresh popcorn that’s popped from a popcorn vending machine!
 
Side note: our hotel bed has a heating blanket and it is 100% amazing.

There is a McDonald’s, KFC, and Subway in walking distance which, strangely enough, feels a little comforting.  Who knew that somewhere deep inside (a deep dark place) I was so attached to these brands?  Actually, going to McDonald’s in other countries is one of my favorite things.  Granted, the menus are always similar but there are always hints of what the local population enjoys. Needless to say, I am looking forward to 1: going to McDonald’s and 2: reading someone’s dissertation: “McDonalds: International Variance in Fast Food Consumer Offerings”.

 Some differences that I’ve noticed:
1.     Stuff can be really expensive here.  Whether it is a $14 sunblock or a $5 cucumber, anything seasonal or shipped from overseas is priced accordingly.  I really like the concept (yea – as an American it feels like a concept) that I’m forced shift my buying habits based on availability or seasonal conditions.  I mean I always knew that was a healthier/earth friendly way to shop but it was never enforced so I only did it when I remembered to. Even if it had to be flown in from Chile, I was going to have a mango anytime of the year for less than 2 bucks.  Now it’s a slap in the face…you want to enjoy that out of season avocado with your sandwich…that will be $8.
2.     The letter “Z” is pronounced “zed”
3.     People dress more stylish here than I was lead to believe.  I stepped off the plane thinking that I would finally be the hippest cat in town but with in mins of walking around Wellington, I realized that this would not be the case.  If I want to be stylish, I'm going to have try a lot harder. 
4.     Honey is big here, either as a dessert and health food item.
5.     It is not easy to tell which way the water swirls when the toilet flushes.  It more just dumps out the bottom of the bowl.  I have only been to a handful of toilets but as far I can tell it’s not as obvious as Bart Simpson would have led me to believe
6.     “Calories” are called “Energy”. Doesn’t that make more sense? A donut is giving me 320 units of energy not 320 calories.


SFO Airport


Very Stylish Yogurt Containers

First Dinner in Our Hotel

Artistic Pear Photo

Wellington Train Station

The "Beehive" - Parliament Buildings

Double your Mussels!

Wellington Alley

Frank Kitts Park

View of a Sea Bridge

Sea Bridge


Sea Bridge

 

2 comments:

Auntie Cine said...

Hi Ella. It's me auntie Cine. Wow, love your description of what you have seen and have experienced. Reading your comments makes it feel like your close by. Can we send you care packages? Just let me know. Love you.

Rachel said...

I'm SO glad you're blogging this! Going to LOVE following your adventures! Keep a look out for apricot hot pies at McD's - my hubby's fave when he was in NZ in the late 80s. Sadly, we did not find any when we went back a couple if years ago.