Saturday, September 7, 2013

Wellington Zoo

The Wellington Zoo's tag line is "the best little zoo in the world" and I think I have to agree.  The zoo is located into a little suburb called Newtown tucked in between houses.

Big plus/learning lesson: even though I couldn't get a photo, I finally got to see my first live kiwi bird.  It was beyond bizarre, cute, and amazing to see.  The kiwi moves in this odd prehistoric manner that really makes you feel like your looking in to the past.  You view the kiwi in a dark, indoor enclosure and you definitely have to be patient if you want to catch a glimpse. There is a zoo guide that stands around with a red flashlight trying to help point out the bird as it moves through the foliage.  As soon as I saw the kiwi I had this crazy epiphany - I never want to be like a kiwi bird.  The kiwi bird evolved in a safe environment with no predators so it basically has no defenses and really just can't handle being bothered.  For example, the bird can't fly or climb, has poor vision, and is extremely shy.  I'm not saying I need to toughen up or fight the world but I think what New Zealand is teaching me is that its ok to let your environment challenge you.  I don't need to create a safe environment to be ok - its these challenges like the weather, the culture shock, starting a new business, making new friends at 31, no Target, no Boba, and lame acupuncture supplies that's going to help me evolve.  So from now on when ever I get pissed off at the backwards living, that nothing is familiar or easy - I remind myself that its ok, I'm no kiwi bird.
 
Now the photos











From the zoo website
 

No comments: