Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner, part 1

Morel Mushroom and Asparagus Eggs Benedict
Warning - this is such a rich, decadent, and delicious meal that you might not want dessert afterwards.

For some reason I got really excited when I read that Morel mushrooms are special because they are a spring mushroom and not cultivated year round.  I searched for the perfect recipe to celebrate spring and give honor to the Morel mushroom.  Well, what do you know...those little guys are tough to find.  Since I was drooling over this recipe for at least 24 hours, I decided to just sub crimini mushrooms instead and guess what, the recipe came freaking amazing!  Who needs Morel mushrooms - no one! Love this recipe because it made me instantly impressed that I 1: poached an egg and 2: made a mushroom sauce. 

Because I can't say no to Hollandaise sauce, I also made some to accompany this dish.  I also plated the toast on a bed of Mache greens to make me feel like I was eating healthy.

I dedicate this meal to my friend Emma who taught me breakfast is good any time of the day.
 


 
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2-3 large shallots, finely diced
  • 2-3 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 8 ounces morel mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
  • 1/4 cup white wine, or broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 slices multi grain or sourdough bread
  • 2-3oz of greyer or Swiss cheese
  • 12 spears asparagus, blanched
  • 2-3 roasted red peppers
  • 4 poached eggs

 
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 250F (this is for the bread, you're going to place it in the oven to lightly toast it and melt the cheese)
  3. Add the shallot and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Removed half the shallots and set aside for later.
  4. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
  5. Add the butter and let it melt.
  6. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture, about 3-5 minutes.
  7. Add the wine or broth, deglaze the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
  8. Add the cream and simmer until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes and reduce the meat to minimum.
  9. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
  10. Swirl the water in the pot.
  11. Crack an egg into a bowl and pour the egg from the bowl into the water. Repeat with another egg.
  12. Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes and fish them out. Repeat with remaining two eggs.
  13. Sprinkle cheese, remaining shallots, and roasted red pepper on bread slices and place in the oven for 10-12 mins or until cheese is melted
  14. Place the toast on plates, top with the asparagus, poached eggs and creamy mushroom sauce.

 
adapted from Closet Cooking

No comments: